Friday, February 19, 2010

What I Had to Get Used To

My sister-in-law just had her first baby.  He is so very sweet.  Seeing her with him reminded me of myself when Caleb was born and I got thinking...the way I will parent Brandt is different from the way I started out parenting Caleb.  Why?  There are some things I've come to terms with in the almost-eight years since my first baby.  Things that I've come to expect and I try not to let phase me.  For example if I'm out and about with one or more of my little boys, most likely:

If I'm in a hurry he will take his time.
If there's water (a puddle or stream) he will jump in it.
If there are rocks nearby he will throw them in the water.
If there's something to climb he will climb it.
If he successfully climbed up he will jump off.
If there's a fountain he will stick his hands in it.
If there is a drinking fountain he must have a drink from it.
If there is something to pull on or swing from he will pull or swing from it.
If there's something to throw he will throw it.
If there's something that he considers to be shaped like a gun/sword/rocket he will use it as such.
If he finds bits of metal or interesting rocks he will collect them.
If there is a stick he will pick it up.
If there is something to hit with the stick he will hit it.
If there is a package he will open it.
If he's supposed to be quiet he will forget.

So.  That doesn't keep me from teaching good behavior, but I just know what to expect so I can make adjustments.  And I'm no longer horrified if he jumps in a puddle with his best shoes on because he's a kid and that's what kids do.

Having said that, I keep a first aid kit handy, as well as antibacterial wipes, distractions, detour plans, and a few good bribes, I mean rewards.  And you know what?  Some of the most endearing memories are formed during just such moments as these.  I try to remember that.

No comments: